Friday, March 13, 2009

Farming

I've struggled maintaining this blog with any consistency, sometimes because I'm busy and sometimes because I just don't have any thing meaningful to say, and there is enough of that out there without my contribution. The picture of ministry painted for aspiring American ministers (at least in my experience) through books, some teachers, and some pastors is a good one. We will live lives of fulfillment, enact change, are admired, make good money, and do all of this in a comfortable setting. The picture painted by scripture (as well as generations of Church history) looks different. For me, growing up as the evangelical church kid who was in a pew any time the doors were open, the idea of ministry was incredibly attractive. I dress stylishly (my wife might disagree with me), I'm fairly outgoing, can be funny (again, my wife might have a different take on that), know my bible relatively well, can play messy games, and make cool fliers. When I felt called into the ministry and began to read books by guys that were a little ahead of me in their journey of service to the kingdom, I liked the picture some of them painted. Given my above listed qualifications, I could jump in, work hard, and wait for the numbers to blow up. (because that's how it works in this particular painting) Quick growth can and does happen, but that's not the norm. The New Testament consistently uses farming metaphors in relation to ministry. This has proven to be a much more accurate, frustrating picture of ministry in my life. It's been frustrating because I am not a patient person. I grew up in the 90's, and don't have to wait for anything. My generation gets what we want when we want it, so when I teach, I want instant conversions! When small groups start, I want Instant Sanctification, not progressive. The problems that arise in that attitude are obvious, and 100% part of my maturing process. As I embrace the long, hard work that ministry is, I'm beginning to experience how God uses my ministry for my sanctification along with the sanctification of others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post... I like your thoughts, I think it's something we all struggle with at times.

Counter

you can find me: